AA President confirms breakdown cover will ‘remain unaffected’ after Brexit in two weeks

Brexit: President of AA explains post-Brexit driving rules

Drivers may need to obtain car insurance green cards and International Driving Permits to visit European countries after the transition period ends. However, AA President Edmund King has a positive note for breakdown cover as he confirmed not much would change when the UK leaves in two weeks time.

He has revealed UK services will be “unaffected” with enough resources available to those based in the UK.

He revealed European breakdowns will also be fulfilled with national breakdown providers still able to assist stricken drivers.

He said drivers will be able to access breakdown services “without issue” when travelling abroad which is set to give many road users peace of mind.

Speaking to Express.co.uk, he said: “Our UK services will remain unaffected and our parts suppliers have already arranged adequate resources to fulfil our requirements.

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

“Should you breakdown in Europe then the AA will still be able to help you without issue.

“As a stakeholder of ARC Europe Limited, we have a reciprocal arrangement with national breakdown providers who will assist you.”

“At the AA, we want to reassure drivers about driving in Europe once the transition period ends on 1 January 2021.

“While some of the following information may change if a deal is reached, the below should provide confidence that the AA will still be able to help you both home and abroad.”

What do I need to drive in France post-Brexit  [INSIGHT]
Drivers need a car insurance green card within weeks [ANALYSIS]
90 percent of British drivers unaware of foreign driving rules [COMMENT]

The RAC has also confirmed it will continue to provide breakdown cover through their partners operating in the European Union.

The firm said their comprehensive European breakdown service will remain in place and out “no limit” to the costs needed to get your car back to the UK.

They say if repairs cost more than £500 you can have your vehicle brought back to the UK instead of having it repaired in Europe.

NFU Mutual also added their continental breakdown cover would continue to operate as normal after Brexit.

More Than also says your European Breakdown cover will still “work as usual” in the event of leaving the EU.

However, Compare the Market warns policies may change after 31 December 2020 with each driver urged to check their own individual agreements.

They have confirmed some firms have already announced cover will continue but this may vary between companies.

Compare the Market confirmed no changes would come into effect during the transition period.

This means drivers do not need to worry at all if they are expecting to travel abroad between Christmas and New Year.

Insurance experts at Endsleigh have urged drivers to review their existing breakdown cover ahead of the transition.

They say drivers can take out standalone European breakdown cover if travelling abroad which is vital for all holidaymakers.

Bikers have also been out at ease with leading provider Carole Nash confirming riders will get the same level of breakdown cover when travelling in Europe.

Source: Read Full Article