Pros and Cons of City Driving and Highway Driving
There are many among us who have never ventured beyond city limits, and there are those that mostly drive on the highways.
SS-Traveller recently shared this with other BHPians.
All driving is not the same, and we learn more and more about it as we pile on the miles.
There are many among us who have never ventured beyond city limits, and there are those that mostly drive on the highways. A majority, though, are happy to make do with a mix of driving both in cities and highways. However, we each feel more comfortable driving in a certain environment, and there are pros and cons of driving in either.
- Lower speeds
- Shorter duration of drives
- Known / familiar roads (in most cases)
- Help always at hand in case of breakdown or crash
- Night driving not too difficult due to streetlights
- Traffic signals reduce chances of collisions
- Heavy traffic congestion often, with stressful stop-&-go driving
- Mixed traffic, both motorized and non-motorized, moving at different speeds
- Need to be alert for traffic signals
- Frequent bumps, potholes, barriers and obstructions
- Violation of traffic rules lead to penalties & challans more often
- Parking is often a problem at the destination
- Faster speeds on empty highways let you enjoy the power of your beloved car
- Less need to concentrate on other road users since they are mostly far away – enjoy the music instead
- Enjoy the beautiful countryside as you drive
- Stop anywhere if required (on most Indian highways)
- Wide variety of cheap eats at dhabas, with changing menu as you cross states
- Lower risk of being confronted by traffic police and fined
- Higher speeds = lower margin of error = bigger crashes
- Car breakdown or other emergency can leave you stranded without help at hand
- Empty highways can lead to boredom and dozing off = higher risk of accidents
- Long sessions behind the wheel can be tiresome
- Driving at night on highways can be terrifying for many
- Payment of toll can prove expensive
So which form of driving do you enjoy? Pottering around in the city, or cruising on the highway? Or do you just enjoy being behind the wheel, never mind the kind of roads that you need to traverse? Tell us why.
Thanks to SS-Traveller once again! Check out BHPian comments for more insights & information.
Source: Read Full Article