IMSA WeatherTech race at Watkins Glen a mixed bag for Corvette Racing

The No. 3 Corvette Racing C7.R finished second in class on Sunday in New York.

Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen finished on the podium for the fourth consecutive race in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GT Le Mans class Sunday with a runner-up finish in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen. 

The Corvette Racing duo in the No. 3 Mobil 1/Sirius XM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R finished less than half a second behind the Porsche 911 RSR of Patrick Pilet and Nick Tandy.

For Garcia and Magnussen, it was their third consecutive podium at Watkins Glen International.

“I can’t be super, super happy about the result,” Garcia said. “I think we had this race. We have such a strong field. We took one part of the strategy away thinking there would be a yellow when one didn’t come. The race was split then between half of the field and us. We could gain back some spots but when we restarted after the last yellow, we didn’t have track position.”

As for Corvette Racing’s other entry, Tommy Milner suffered contact and crashed on the opening lap in the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C7.R, ending the day for him and teammate Oliver Gavin.

The damage to the Corvette was extensive but the team will have the No. 4 entry repaired for the July 7 Mobil 1 Sports Car Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The Corvette Racing crew faced a similar rush job after a heavy crash at the 24 Hours of Le Mans forced the team to switch chassis for the No. 4 Corvette ahead of Watkins Glen.

“It’s not a cliché, it’s how I feel… it’s disappointing and unnecessary,” Milner said. “It was the first lap of the race and going side-by-side which should have been and is possible. Hindsight is 20-20. Knowing the Porsche didn’t check up enough to allow us to go two-wide… he said he gave some consideration but it wasn’t enough. I’d love to say we could rewind it, I’d give up the position and we’re still racing.”

Down to one entry, the Corvette Racing team soldiered on and very nearly pulled off a storybook ending. Garcia and Magnussen led Sunday’s race four times but a call to pit ahead of a full-course yellow that never came seemingly put the No. 3 Corvette on the back foot to the end.

Magnussen, making his 150th start for Corvette Racing, drove the middle three stints and gave the Corvette back to Garcia for the final two hours and 40 minutes. A final full-course yellow set the stage for the late-race charge from seventh to very nearly a long-awaited victory.

Source: Read Full Article