The Karting Crash and Retaliation Video that Has Everyone in F1 Talking

World Karting Championships driver Luca Corberi pulled a page from Tony Stewart’s playbook last week. And it wasn’t one of the better ones.

Corberi, 23, was racing in the Karting KZ World Championship in Lonato, Italy, on Sunday when he crashed out of the race. After the crash, he pulled his kart (called a Tony Kart, ironically) out of the barrier, picked up the detached bumper, and proceeded to walk back onto the track and hurl the debris at a rival.

After that, he assaulted a driver in the pit area, and that started a brawl as part of what was a full, and ultimately final, day in the kart series for Corberi.

The FIA, which sanctioned the event, is investigating.

Corberi, on social media this week, apologized and said that he was quitting motorsport over the incident:

“I’d like to apologize to the motorsport community for what I’ve done. There are no excuses to explain why I’ve done such a disgraceful act, this has been something I’ve never done in my 15 years of career, and I really hope it won’t be seen by anybody else in the future.

After the race, once I’ve been called by the sporting judges, I’ve asked them to take my licence away because I was fully conscious about my irreparable mistakes, but as they showed me, they don’t have the power for doing it, it’s written in the international rules, so please, don’t be against them, they were just doing their work in the best way they could.

For this reason, I’ve decided to don’t take part to any other motorsport competition for the rest of my life, that’s not a self-justice, it’s simply the right thing to do. My family has been in karting since 1985, we’ve seen it grow, we’ve seen the best and the worst part of it. This episode will be remembered as one of the worst in our sport and that’s something I’ll never forget.

I’m not asking any indulgence, because I don’t deserve it. I will totally agree with the punishments required. I’m writing today to say sorry even if it’s not enough, because after all the bad things that happened during this event, the worst ever has been done by me, a guy who loves this sport and after the worst day of his life will still remember his good racing memories.

Karter Luca Corberi continues to vent his anger after the kart race. Somebody arrest this guy. (via @EstagiariodaF1) pic.twitter.com/R9Kuk2VI4G

The incident caught the attention of even F1 drivers who are in Germany this week. Many were asked about it during driver press availability on Thursday.

Williams driver George Russell has raced against Corberi in the past.

“First and foremost, he put himself in a huge amount of danger, standing at that point of the track,” Russell said. “And ultimately putting somebody else in a huge amount of danger, as well, with the actions he took when he was on track and obviously following up what happened in the pits was unacceptable in any walks of life.”

“Motorsport is incredibly passionate, but there’s no excuse for anybody to react in that manner.”

Russell’s teammate Nicholas Latifi was on some level somewhat impressed at the who incident.

“Those bumpers are not exactly light,” Latifi said. “They are quite heavy, and even though the cars don’t look like they’re going very fast, it is something quite severe. They don’t have halos. They’re not covered, so if he did hit his target like he was intending to, it could have been quite bad.”

Added Racing Point driver Lance Stroll, “I think he was completely out of line. Behavior like that can’t be tolerated in our sport. It shows a bad example to the young generation. We fight so hard on track. There’s just no need for violence off the track.

Luca Corberi has just destroyed any chance he had at a racing career after his disgusting behaviour today at the FIA Karting World champs. His father owns the circuit and is seen power driving the guy into a wall, Life ban for both of these idiots please https://t.co/uzWD1cDJ9w

“I believe the FIA are going to handle it, as they should. Something like that needs to be heavily addressed and there needs to be a severe penalty for his actions.”

Stroll’s teammate Sergio Perez agreed.

“He put at risk his life, and the other drivers were also at risk. Definitely there needs to be a big sanction,” Perez said.

Former F1 driver and 2009 World Champion Jenson Button on social media went to far as to call for a lifetime ban for Corberi.

And, in case you need a refresher on Tony Stewart’s unforgettable night at Bristol in 2012, here’s the video. Try not to smile.

What should be done when a racer totally loses it on the racetrack? Jump in the conversation in the comments section below.

Source: Read Full Article